Pedagogical Documentation

The birth of my question began during our cohorts time touring the different centres around town to decide where we might want to have our practicum. During this period, I got to see a large variation in materials for early childhood. Some materials were clearly purposed for young children and bought for that capacity, whereas others were older, repurposed everyday items that some adults may consider throw away items. Some centers had a mixture of the two categories, while others leaned one way or the other. I found myself wondering why this was. Due to inquiring with ECE’s I encountered during the field, I was informed that if an ECE wants something for their room and their children, it often must come out of their own pocket. I immediately wanted to investigate if the quality of play was affected by this financial ceiling.

As an early 2000’s baby, I had the majority of my childhood free of highly expensive toys or electronics. I recall being fascinated with being an adult and the everyday items I witnessed my parents use. Out of this line of thinking grew my commitment: to disrupt the ongoing cycle of consumerism within early childhood education. With the knowledge I have at this point (both learned or taken from my experience as a child), I believe that materials for young children should and can be cost effective or affordable. To further investigate this I ask: How do children interact with everyday items that adults may view as mundane or throw away items? This is the beginning of my pedagogical documentation.

Tires

Though tires for our vehicles start out at a very hefty price, they often end their lives in landfills, and more unfortunately, discarded in nature and in oceans. The children within my centre have been showing me an alternative, more positive ending for balding tires.

Wyatt and Kurt climbing and sitting on their “fort”

Wyatt and Kurt sitting and climbing on their “fort”. The tires in the yard are rolled, carried, or pushed into a new place each day.

Wooden Planks

Have spare wood from home project? No need to toss out or discard! The children have a use for that!

“We are using our IPads.” – Charlie and Wyatt

Miscellaneous Items

“Im making potions!” – Jonny with the ice cube tray

Milk Crates!

The children are consistently using these milk crates to build towers and to transport their things from one side of the yard to the other.

Here is Kurt and Sawyer using two milk crates to shift chunks of ice out of the powdered snow. I was deeply impressed with this moment because of how many concepts they were interacting with. Object shape and size! Consistency! Movement! Agitation!

Today, I witnessed the kids organize the wood and crates in the yard to create a “ obstacle course”. I was impressed with their balancing and determination. Even if they missed a step and had to hop off, they got right back on!

Friday March, 9th

Two of the siblings in my practicum center found each other during outdoor time and used an unexpected medium to sit down on! I wonder if the “chairs” were comfortable.